The UK culture secretary Karen Bradley will set out her views on whether 21st Century Fox’s £11.7bn takeover of Sky can go ahead by June 29 after the media watchdog Ofcom concluded its inquiries into the deal.
In a statement on Tuesday afternoon, Ms Bradley confirmed she had received three reports from Ofcom – two on public interest grounds and a third which examines whether Fox and its senior directors are fit and proper to hold a UK broadcasting licence.
The minister, who has resumed her role as culture secretary following the general election earlier this month, added that she will publish those reports in the next nine days as well as announcing her “minded to” decision to parliament.
“There will then be an opportunity for representations to be made before I take a final decision,” said Ms Bradley.
Ofcom was asked by the minister to look at whether the £10.75 a share offer, made by Fox last December, would hand too much power over the UK media to Rupert Murdoch’s media empire. It has also been considering whether the deal would be against the public interest on the grounds of broadcasting standards.
In a statement Ofcom said that it will publish the fit and proper assessment “when the Secretary of State announces her ‘minded-to’ decision and publishes the public interest report.”